Thursday, January 15, 2009

Middle Age Hair

One of the questions I've always had is when are you old enough to start doing the once a week hairdresser hairdo thing? And why would you want to do that in the first place? I once asked this in front of an older gentleman that I worked with whose wife did this. He told me that when you got "old" you lose strength in your arms. That fixing your hair was just to hard to do. This seems like a good answer because I know that some days that hairdryer seems to weigh a ton!

Then I thought of my mom. She didn't live long enough to get to the hairdresser stage but she did stop "fixing" her hair. You know what I mean? She stopped curling, primping, or spending the time on her hair that I seemed to need. I wondered, at what age does this happen? Well, I think I have an answer.

I was getting ready for work yesterday when it hit me! I don't spend hours on my hair anymore. It is basically blow dry and go. Does this make me lazy? Nope. Does this make me old? I don't think so. I think that you just get to a point that you understand that God gave you what he wanted and you better stop fighting him.

I've come to grips with my naturally curly hair. I've given up the battle to make it stick straight. I understand that my hair is thick and no amount of pulling is going to make it seem smaller.

I wish that it didn't take becoming "old" to figure this out. I wish that I could save my kids the wasted time in front of the mirror. I know that I won't be able to do that though. Because I'm pretty sure my mom tired to tell me this many times while I was growing up. I was just to busy thinking that she was to old to know how the "real world" worked!

No comments: