Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Cable Gone!

Today we turned off cable. We still (obviously) have internet but no TV. If we want to watch TV we can watch it through the internet. This does limit the amount of "live" tv you can watch but you can still get current news & weather at places like yahoo.com.
I admit to being a bit scared to disconnect the cable. When I realized that I was scared is when I really made the decision to disconnect. I thought to myself, why in the world should I worry about not having television! It's only television!! People can survive without watching American Idol! I was a bit ashamed of myself. I think the kids had the same feeling. I hope this will prove you don't need TV.
I also hope this will teach them not to fall into the "must have it now" attitude that our society has right now. I think that is a lot of the trouble with people today. They feel that there should be an instant answer to every question or problem. That's just not the way life works. Some of the best things in life take time.
It is also going to give the kids a chance to watch some "classic" TV. They have already become fans of "The Adventures of Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids". I know they would NEVER have watched that if I suggested it while our friend Spongebob was still around. Now, I just have to convince them that "Macgyver" is one of the best shows ever!!

No comments: