Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Be aware of God

Yesterday I put an assignment to the family. I wanted everyone to open their eyes and hearts to the little things that God puts in our lives. So, I asked everyone to pay attention during the day and watch for things that they thought God put before them. I reminded them that it doesn't have to be some great big move the earth kinda thing. I want them to find God "in the details" of their lives.

Jilly said that she thought God had a hand in her forgetting her lunch. She was able to call home and have me bring it to her. When I took the lunch up to her, I slipped in a little love note and some extra strawberries. She said that if she hadn't forgot her lunch she wouldn't have had the little surprise from me.

Steve said that he found the chance to help one of his customers that has some finacial difficulty. A doctor wrote a note for the patient to buy something over-the-counter (Miralax). Steve told the man that if the docotr would OK it that he could put a prescription type Miralax on the mans insurance. Steve took the time to call the doctor's office and get that change OK'd. That little extra on Steve's part saved the patient about $14. That money might be the difference between eating a decent meal or not.

Drake worked at the concession stand last night. One of his friend didn't have any money to buy a soda. I know that sodas aren't and essential part of growing up but they can be important to a thirteen year old. Drake gave the friend a dollar so that they both could have a soda while they worked the stand.

I wanted some great story to tell the kids when we reviewed the day. Well, God had other plans for me. I kept watching for some great opportunity to arrive. I was sure that God would give me a great lesson to teach the kids. Instead it was I that got taught the lesson. I was able to give advice to a little girl in Jilly's class and her mother about ways to help study for the multiplication tables. That was it. Nothing life saving. Nothing with great impact. But I was the one that was taught the lesson. God is in even the smallest kindnest we show to others. Who knows, telling them about "School House Rock" on YouTube might make the difference in her learning her math.

In total it was a good lesson that we will revisit time and again. We must all be totally aware of the tiniest chance to spread love, aid, and kindnest to the people and things that come into our lives.

No comments: