Monday, January 3, 2011

Simply living.....not so simple to explain.

I was going to write a post on why we, as a family, feel that simply living is the way to go for us.  I wrote about a paragraph and realized that it was pooey.  I guess I just have a hard time putting into words why it makes sense to us.  When I write it down it sounds hokey and preachy.

I know that the choices we make seem strange to others.  They just don't get why we choose to walk to work most days.  They REALLY don't get why we don't spend our money on television.  They think we are mean that we don't often buy our kids soda, especially at restaurants.  They find it odd that we buy 98% of our family clothing at thrift stores.  They look at me with bug-eyes when I tell them we only work two days per week by choice.  They shake their heads when I tell them what my kids get for Christmas.

I think it really comes down to the fact that I want my kids to know that they are important.  I choose them over "NEW" anything.  I want them to know that to show someone love they should spend time with them, not money on them.  I want them to know that experiences don't ever break or fade.  They stay with you forever.  You can have all the gadgets in the world but without the time to make relationships they are worthless.

I think people these days really have lost site of those ideas.  They think that the children/people will know how much they love them if they give them the latest & greatest thing.  They don't see that they have to work, away from the family, to be able to afford these things.  It becomes a vicious cycle.  Work to buy things to make up for not being there or to entertain while you work to buy things.  If people just slowed down and spent time together we would all be so much better off.

Now, please don't think that I have this mastered.  It is a total work in progress.  We have made drastic changes in our lives over the past two years and we can tell a difference.  I know that people still won't get it and that is OK.  It works for us and we'll continue to see what changes we can make to get even more simplified.  If anyone has any questions about what we have done or why we've chosen certain things PLEASE ask us.  We'd love to be able to share more with you.

2 comments:

Roshelle said...

I love this... "I want them to know that to show someone love they should spend time with them, not money on them"... that is priceless information and an excellent legacy.

Living simple is a mindset and very difficult to explain if who you are trying to explain it to is really unwilling to open their minds and realize that there really is another way to choose to live and it really is worthy of serious consideraton. But that would require self reflection and many people don't know how to do that. And even if we do find merit in it, it requires discipline... and who wants that? So, it's just easier to think you're crazy when we walk away. ;)

I don't think you're crazy. I applaud you and the choices you've (you and Steve) made for your family. Your children are so lucky. I know they see the benefit in your lifestyle, too. But when they are adults and making their own choices and looking around at all the people around them, they will truly thank you for how you raised them.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Roshelle. That is really sweet of you to say. I agree with you about people not wanting to even consider it as a choice. I'm glad someone else is able to see where I'm coming from.