Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cars

As you know I've been playing on facebook.com a lot lately. On the site there is this phenomena known as "25 Random Things About Me." This has spawned several different incarnations, one of which is about your high school days. One of the questions is about your car that you drove during high school. There has been much lamenting about the horrible things that our parents forced us to drive.
Being a parent now, we all know what our parents were thinking...safety, cost, availability, etc... Back then it was a different story. We were all convinced that our parents were teaching us lessons in humility. I know that I drove an abominable car, a orange pinto wagon with racing stripes! Who even designed a car like this? When was it EVER in style?
It got me to thinking what my kids will be driving when the time comes. I do think that I'll offer the use of one of the family cars. Right now the choices are a tan Toyota Corolla or a blue Toyota Matrix. Neither bad looking but definitely not high on the cool scale. Will our kids moan and groan to their peers about what awful things we are subjecting upon them? I know I would have killed to have either of those two choices.
I wonder what my parents thought when we moaned about what we drove. Did they think back to what they had driven? I'm sure there is a story about snow, barefoot, uphill both ways in there somewhere. I'll have to start working on my poor me story to have it down pat for when my time comes to share with my kids.

No comments: