Friday, December 10, 2010

Unsolicited Review!

The other day I received in the mail a new CD.  It is by the artist Diane Birch.  I've reviewed an album for Ms. Birch in the past and I really enjoyed her music.  I guess that is why I got her latest album in the mail.  They didn't ask for a review.  I still feel obligated to let you know what I think about the music.

The album is titled "The Velveteen Age" and she is accompanied by The Phenomenal Handclap Band.  For some reason seeing Hanclap Band just makes me want to laugh.  I mean, really?  Although I had reservations about what the album was going to sound like, I put it into the CD player.  The music is very soulful and smooth.  It's, to me, a cross between jazz and blues.  I really enjoyed it.  Other family members weren't as impressed as I.  My darling daughter said that it wasn't "awful" but that she "wouldn't choose it."  Dear hubbie just said "Eh." (I'm not even sure how to spell that sound.)

For me, I would choose the album.  I would choose to listen to it during a relaxing bubble bath.  I would choose to listen to it after a hard, stressful day at work.  I would choose to listen to it while reading a good book.  To sum it up, I would listen to it when I want to relax.

My only complaint with the album is that there are only seven songs on it.  That seems kinda short to me.  Maybe the songs are longer than average songs.  Most of them are over 4 minutes long.  If that is true, never mind.  

Here is a link to her webpage http://dianebirch.com/  It shows that her music is available on iTunes.

No comments: