Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Book Review: "In Constant Prayer" by Robert Benson

Wow!  This book really made me think.  It is about the practice of saying the daily office or office of the hours.  This is something that I was completely unaware of before this book.  I knew that people went to church several times daily in very devote places but I didn't understand what they were doing at the church.

This book does a good job of explaining the purpose of saying the daily prayers of the ancients.  Mr. Benson doesn't try to tell the reader that they must say the prayers "or else".  He simply gives the reader background on the practice.  He clearly states that he isn't a theologian and doesn't profess to be all knowing in matters of daily prayer.  He explains in layman's terms why he and others go about the business of keeping this tradition alive in our society.

I think he did a very good job of making the subject worth investigating further.  He gave several very good analogies about saying route prayers.  I especially liked the analogy to gardening.  Each day you must tend your garden, even when it isn't fun or when you don't get much out of it.  You do this so that the garden grows and produces and you may reap the benefits at some later time.  What a great example that was for me.  I also liked that he stressed that you don't have to say the prayers perfectly.  God loves to hear from you no matter what.  As you learn more and become more comfortable, you can expand your prayers.

I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to increase or improve their prayer life.  I would also recommend this book to anyone that wants to learn more about the ancient practice of saying the office of the hours.  It is a great jumping off point.



1 comment:

robert benson and ben stroup said...

Thank you much for reading IN CONSTANT PRAYER in the first place, for saying such kind things about it, and for sharing it with your friends.

Namaste —
Robert Benson
thelongpew.com