Wednesday, April 25, 2012

One Month Report


Well, it's been one month since we became vegan.  I thought I'd give an update on how things are going.  I'd say over all they are going SUPER DUPER!  We really do feel good eating this way.  I am still surprised at how easy our conversion was to accomplish.  I expected a lot more cravings and several more "cave-ins" during the learning phase.

Some of the things we have noticed:
1. Taste buds change in about three weeks.
2. Acne does clear up with no milk products ingested
3. There are a lot of choices available in the small town grocery stores
4. Some recipes are a fail with or without meat
5. Kids like convenience foods
6. There ARE vegan convenience foods
7. No sugar cereal is a great snack
8. We have less food waste

9. Some people think we eat only salads
10 We eat a larger variety of foods now

We have tried several new recipes.  Some are really good no matter what kind of diet you follow.  My dear hubby made a lentil stew that was super yummy.   Southwest eggrolls are a favorite of the family.  They take a  bit of extra time to make so they aren't my favorite, just for that reason.  I had never really eaten much hummus before changing over.  Now, I can't get enough of it.  I could eat a hummus burrito or sandwich everyday for lunch.  Sweet potatoes as still not a favorite, but they are better than I used to think they were. 

We have allowed ourselves to have something off the diet if we REALLY wanted it.  After all, this is a choice not a punishment.  When we have had something, we have found that it didn't live up to the expectation.  That just shows how much the taste buds have changed.  We had a slice of pizza about two weeks into the change and it just didn't taste great.  Mind you, pizza has always been my "if you could only eat one food" food.  It just tasted greasy and heavy to me.  I was both glad and sad at the same time.  I'm going to have to find a new answer to that question. Maybe it will be hummus.

The children are good with sticking to the diet for the most part.  They do eat anything they want when we go out to eat.  That being said, they tend to choose lighter fare such as fish, salad, or a veggie sandwich.  At home they are good as long as they have some quick cook items.  They are big fans of Amy's brand burritos and, of course, cereal.

I know that this lifestyle isn't to everyone's liking.  That's OK.  It is a choice.  If you are sitting there thinking "there is no way!" then you are right.  There is no way for you to switch.  You have to WANT to do this.

No comments: