Thursday, April 19, 2012

Book Review: The Voice: New Testament

I was given a copy of "The Voice Bible" by Thomas Nelson Publishers.  What a great translation for the New Testament.  "The Voice" is set up in a modern language story format.  It makes it very accessable to the average reader.

The book uses several devices to differenciate between the types of translations contained.  The four types are as follows:

Standard Type: this is the dynamic translation of the Bible.
Italic Type:  these are words not directly tied to the standard type.
Delineated Material: This is for writtings that expand the theme found in the text.
Screenplay Format: This is used to show dialogue, eliminating the endless use of pronouns.

I really like how they did use these type styles.  It let me know, right up front, what was expanded.  It also made the dialogue much more engaging for me.  It was easily noted who was talking.  I didn't find myself looking back through for who Jesus was talking to or about.

I would recommend this Bible to anyone wanting a fresh way to read the Good Book.  Sometimes it is fun to read something that presents a clear visual while you read.  This is one of those.

Disclaimer: I did receive this book from the publisher for the purpose of review.  All opinions are my own and I was not made to give a positive review.


No comments: