Friday, February 3, 2012

February Books

Here is the stack of books waiting to be read by me this month.  I'm not so sure I'm going to be able to get through all of them.  Let's talk about them from the bottom up.  Shall we?

Choosing Simplicity:  Real People Finding Peace and Fulfillment in a Complex World by Linda Breen Pierce--  I've started reading this one and so far it is AWESOME.  It has individuals stories about how they came to desire the simple lifestyle.  It features all kinds of different levels of simplicity so you can find someone to relate.    I did have to put this book away because it was make me sad that I couldn't do, right now, all the things that I want to.  I will continue to pick it up and read but only in short bursts.  That is all I can handle right now.

Surprised by Laughter: The Comic World of C.S. Lewis by Terry Lindvall-- I received this book to review.  It is about C.S. Lewis and his "joyful approach to life."  Well, I must admit to struggling with this one.  I'm two chapters into it and it is just talking about how laughter impacts us.  It hasn't been the biography type book, that I thought it was going to be, at all yet.  I will be posting a review of it later.  Right now, I'm forcing myself to read a chapter here and there.  UGH! I hope it improves soon.

Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen--  I feel like I'm the late one on this book.  I've read the first chapter and it really caught my attention.  The character of Jacob already feels very real.  I'm excited to get back to this one.  I had to put it aside while I finished up a book from last month.

Eat Here: Homegrown Pleasures in a Global Supermarket by Brian Halweil-- This one has been on my wish list for a while.  It looks at the local food movement.  It, also, discusses the current world wide food delivery system and how it effects local farmers.  I'm excited to read this one and hope it motivates me to buy more local items.

Eye of the Sword: A Novel (The Angelaeon Circle) by Karyn Henley--  Another one that I've received to review.  This is the second in a series.  I have not read the first one.  I'm hoping that this won't be a problem.  After reading the first chapter,  it looks to be a good one.  It seems like a Christian Sci-Fi.  I'm a sucker for a good knight, princess, angel, evil monster book.  I think this one will be a quick read.

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin-- I got introduced to this book by a recommendation from a patron of paperbackswap.com.  I have already finished this one.  It was a quick one-day read.  I really enjoyed it.  The story is about a 15 y/o girl who dies unexpectedly.  We then follow her into the afterlife.  The authors depiction of the afterlife was one that I hadn't really seen before and I thought it was a good one.  If you like Young Adult Fiction, then you should give this one a look.

Mrs. Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs-- The picture above is of my Kindle.  I am in the middle of this unusual book.  I'm really enjoying it so far.  Why this book is so unusual is that it uses pictures, snapshots, to help enhance the story.  Even on the Kindle this adds a whole new level to the believability of a fantasy book.  This is another one that I think should be a quick read.  I haven't managed to make it quick but it's my first on the e-reader and I'm still getting used to it.

Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish by Morgan Llywelyn-- This one I haven't really investigated very much.  I've read other books by Morgan Llywelyn and really liked the detail and history included.  This one being about a bard and Irish, I just couldn't pass it up.

Well, that is quite a list for the short month of February.  We will see if I can manage to get them all in during the self-imposed time limit.  Upon reading back over this post, I've discovered that I read the first chapter of many books.  I didn't realize that I did that before.  Even at the ripe old age of 41, we can still learn things about ourselves.

No comments: