Monday, February 13, 2012

Book Review: Eye of the Sword by Karyn Henley

This book is the second book in the Angelaeon Circle series.  It will be released on March 14, 2012.  Not having read the first book in the series I was a bit leery about how well I'd like this one.  I've found that you spend a good amount of time trying to fill in the blanks in the storyline.  I am happy to say that this book did a good job of making a stand alone story.

The hero of our story is Trevin.  He serves as a comain (like knight) to King Laetham.  He is also in love with the princess Melaia.  We follow Trevin on his quest to prove his worth to the King and Melaia.  The quest is full of good and evil, as any good quest does. Here is an excerpt from the back of the book.


To prove himself worthy of a princess, Trevin must first defeat the terror of his past.

In Camrithia, a land of shadows and mystical secrets, Trevin lives to serve King Laetham. But his heart belongs to the princess, Melaia. When the king sends Trevin on a dangerous quest to find the missing comains, he must leave Melaia to the advances of a swaggering Dregmoorian prince.

Challenged to prove his worth, Trevin throws himself into his quest. Challenged to prove his love, Trevin undertakes a second mission—find the harps Melaia seeks in order to restore the stairway to heaven. Through fire caves, rogue winds, and murderous threats, Trevin remains steadfastly dedicated to his quest—even when he is falsely accused of a heinous crime. As Trevin’s time runs out, he realizes he must face the shame and horror of his own past and the terror-dream that has come to life. Will he have the courage to finish what he has started?

This is a Christian book aimed at the young adult market.  I thought that it was a very entertaining story.  I'm even going to get the first in the series.  It was that interesting.  I liked the setting, being set in a medieval type land.  I liked the characters being human, angels, immortals, or some combination of the two. 

If you or your young reader likes action/adventure tales, this is a good choice.  I'm sure they would be happy with it.

I received this book for review from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishers.  All opinions are my own and I was not obligated to give a positive review.

No comments: