Monday, February 15, 2010

"Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief" Review

Spoiler Alert!!


We went to see "Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief" today. We studied mythology before we went to the movie and then I had each child review the film. They also needed to look-up a couple of gods when we go home. The kids reviews are as follows. Be aware that there may be spoilers in each of them.

Review: 14 y/o son

I personally thought that the movie was quite good. There are some exceptions to this though. A large portion of the book was missing in the movie. It took much longer for Percy to finally realize that Poseidon was his father in the book. Whole characters were missing! This was quite disappointing to me. I also pictured Grover as a much more cowardly individual.

You could definitely tell that this movie was directed by the same person who did the Harry Potter films. Though there were flaws, I still enjoyed this movie. At points, my knuckles were white with anticipation as I gripped my seat. The inclusion of "Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2" got a chuckle from me. I did not expect the lightning thief to be who he was.

I honestly believe that this movie should have been rated PG-13. I recommend this movie as it is action-packed and for the whole family.

Review: 10 y/o daughter

I thought that since I did not read the book I got more enjoyment out of it. I also thought that it was action-packed and funny. I loved all the places they went and all the ways they tried to get the pearls. I also liked how the team stuck together. As a final statement, if I had a choice between a TV show about the stories (myths) and this movie, I would pick the movie.

No comments: