Thursday, March 27, 2008

Day Two San Fran Trip==part one

We started this day early. I think we were waking up at about 6am.
I had read about the Farmers Market that was held every saturday morning. The guides said that the "locals" would come and do their weekly shopping for local veggies and fruit. I love farmers markets. My mom and dad would take me to them when I was younger. I can remember how happy I was to get a flat of strawberries. So, I really wanted to take the kids to this.
Photobucket
Everyone agreed and off we went. They didn't know that it was at least a mile or two walk down to the Ferry Building where the market was held. We had a pleasent walk. Steve and Drake spent the time testing their vertical jump on the sidewalk art/benches. I think the joggers, and there are TONS of joggers, thought they were a bit strange. But they were having fun together. JIlly and I stayed back so we weren't thought to be with the weirdos! LOL!!
Photobucket
When we got there in time for a really nice sunrise. The market was SPECTACULAR! We got to sample tons of local fruit and veggies. I don't think any of us has had such wonderful tasting oranges. We also sampled fried asaragus that was delish! I wish we could have something like that to shop at here. We bought some oranges for the room and a couple of fresh breads to eat for breakfast.
Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket

We had tickets to go to Alcatraz for 9:30am so we headed back down the bay toward the pier for our ferry. This is the one thing that EVERYONE wanted to do on this trip for sure. The kids and learned a little about it before the trip and I think were really looking forward to seeing a "real" jail.
The ferry over was fun. We sat outside on top to get the full view. It was chilly but we are tough!
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
As you can see the views were stunning. We all thought the city view looked fake.
Once we got to Alcatraz the fun began. I had been before when I was a teenager (20 years ago) and was amazed at how much had changed. It has really deteriorated over the years. It made us really glad that our kids got to see it. It is something that their kids might not get to experience.
Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket
We took our time walking up the steep hill to the prison house. One thing that I had not seen before and wasn't only on Alcatraz, was "wild" lilly flowers. They used lillies as ground cover. They were really really pretty. As a matter of fact all the flowers were gorgous.
Photobucket Photobucket

I think that is a good place to stop this post. I'll pick up inside the prison house.

No comments: