Thursday, July 28, 2011

Review: Ike’s Chili at 5941 E. Admiral Pl Tulsa, OK 74115

I had the opportunity to each lunch at Ike’s Chili this past Tuesday, 7-26-11.  This was the first time I had been to this restaurant.  My father had always raved about how wonderful the food was there.  As a matter of fact, he says it’s the best chili he has eaten.  Needless to say, he had built it up pretty good for me.

We arrived at Ike’s at around 12:45pm.  My first impression was that I probably wouldn’t have stopped here if I hadn’t been strongly encouraged by my father’s praise.  The restaurant is a tiny shop in a run down strip center.  The parking was tight and crowded.  To be honest, it looked a little scary.

When we went into the restaurant, all except two tables were filled.  It is a very small place.  I was surprised by the number of men in suits eating there.  You could tell that word on this place was out in the corporate world.  We found a table and grabbed the paper menu’s that were already at the table.  I was glad that the menu’s were clean.  I kind of wondered if they would have chili spots all over them since they were just paper. 

Our waitress stopped right away and was super friendly.  After she took our drink order, we asked her opinion about serving size.  We were trying to see if a “regular” or “special” were the right size for a average serving.  She said that the regular was pretty small and that she would go with the special.  Her advice was spot on!  The special size of the “Three Way” was perfect.

As stated above, I ordered the Three Way, which is spaghetti, chili, & beans.  They offer the choice to add onions, peppers, & cheese if you want.  I choose to add some cheese to mine. It arrived VERY quick. The cheese came on the side so I could add as much or as little as I wanted to my lunch.  The food was delicious.  The temperature was hot but not so hot that you couldn’t dive right into eating.

When it was time to leave, the waitress had left the ticket on our table after serving our food, we walked to the counter to pay.  The gentleman that rang us up was very friendly.  He took our compliments in stride.  We told him that we were from out of town and stopped there because of the high praise from others.  He joked with us that they are looking to open franchises in other towns.  It was friendly banter but a smooth way to let us know of the opportunity. 

I will definitely go back to Ike’s when I’m in Tulsa.  It had great food and great service.  I hope that they make a go of franchising the business but I doubt that a new place could hold the charm of the original.

No comments: