Friday, June 8, 2012

Although We Walk...

Although my family and I walk on many of our daily excursions, I still see that it is an exception rather than the rule.  Why is that?  When did it become so abnormal to walk to buy a few items at the store? 
These are the thoughts that were running through my mind as I walked to the library with my daughter today.

I live in a pedestrian friendly town.  We could stand to have more sidewalks but the side streets aren't crazy busy, so for the most part it's fine.  The university campus is less than a mile, general store is a few blocks, the post office & banks are even closer than that, and restaurants and entertainment are literally just around the corner.  Why is it when I go out I find that I am the only person on foot?

When did we, as a society, decide that we had to buy twenty bags of grocery items when we go to the store?  I don't know about you but I have a lot of food in my pantry and yet I still come home with more bags than I can carry.  Are we that spoiled? 

Having a child that, because of blindness, will not be driving in her future, I think about how people get from place to place.  Rather than being reliant on cars, public transportation, or taxi service, why don't many people feel that walking is a viable form of transportation?  People spend tons of time and walk many miles on treadmills.  Wouldn't it be time better spent if they walk those same miles to the store and walked home with an errand done?  Instead, we go from the gym to our cars and drive to the store and then back home.  That just seems like a waste of time when you spend any logical time thinking about it.

All this thinking has gotten to me.  I've decided to put my walking shoes where they belong, on the road to the store.  I'm going to be walking for my groceries here in town.  So, if you see me walking down the main drag (pictured above), you'll know why.  It's not that my car is in the shop or that my divers license got revoked.  I just think more people should use their feet for the purpose that God gave them to you.

No comments: