Friday, June 17, 2011

Book Review: "You Were Born For This" by Bruce Wilkinson with David Kopp

     I'll come out and say that I was a fan of "The Prayer of Jabez" book by Mr. Wilkinson.  I didn't think that is was some miracle prayer that was going to solve all my life's problems.  I did like how it made me more focused on the opportunities God puts before me each day to expand his kingdom.  This title from Mr. Wilkinson is right along the same line.
     I really have enjoyed reading this book.  I look forward to being more willing to be a conduit of God's power.  That sounds kind of cheesy when I read it back but it's true.  This book points out that we have to be a willing participant in God's plans for us.  It's that whole free-will thing.
     This book's main premise is that God wants to perform miracles on Earth everyday.  God uses the Spirit to make these miracles happen.  Where is the Spirit located?  In each of us.  Thus, we need to be willing to follow the Spirit and be used by God to deliver miracles.  The trouble, he points out, is that people have stopped listening and following the nudges and directions that God gives us.  We rationalize those feelings as silly, of no consequence, or not needed.   We tend to think that God only wants to perform the crazy big miracles like we read about in the Bible.  That just doesn't seem to be true.  God wants to let us know that he cares about the little things, that to us, as individuals, will be a miracle.
     I read one negative review about this book.  It said that the author was trying to make the readers turn God into their own personal genie.  I totally disagree with this.  I think that he is trying to get each of us to listen to the Spirit of God and act on what we feel.  He gives specific advice on how to better listen but never gave me the impression that it was the ONLY way to be an active listener.
    To sum it up, I enjoyed this book.  I liked the message.  I think that for those out there that need a reminder of how and why to listen to the Spirit, this is a great read.

I was sent this book by Waterbrook Multnomah publishing group for my honest review

No comments: