Friday, March 18, 2011

Oil Pulling

I was at work the other day when a patient asked me about an oil that was used for gum health.  After looking at her like she was a wee bit crazy, I told her that I had never heard of anything like an oil to promote gum health.  She said that her dental hygienist mentioned something about sesame oil to her.  She said it was some sort of Indian (I was thinking Native American) treatment. 

Being the ever patient and caring pharmacist that I am, (stop laughing) I went to the Internet and googled sesame oil and gum health.  Low and behold, there were tons on hits.  It turns out that oil pulling is a common Ayurvedic practice.  I shared what I quickly scanned with the lady and she went on her merry way.

After she left, I continued to read on oil pulling.  The basic idea of swishing the oil made some sense to me.  I've been washing my face with olive oil for some time and I've seen how well it removes oils and dirt.  So, it made perfect sense that it would do the same for your mouth & teeth. 

Now don't get me wrong, I don't believe that oil pulling will cure a multitude of illness or pull all toxins from your body.  I did think that it could decrease tarter build up, remove some cell/germ accumulation, & dissolve some stains on the teeth. So, I thought I would give it a try and see what would happen.

I've swished & spit a tablespoonful of olive oil every morning for about 15 minutes for a week now.  I think that it has whitened my teeth better than the expensive peroxide gel I bought from the dentist.  It also seems to have decreased the circles under my eyes.  I wasn't expecting that result but even my dear husband thinks he notices a difference.  My mouth doesn't really "feel" any cleaner if it is possible to "feel" so.  I don't think I had a problem with chronic halitosis, so I haven't noticed any difference there either.

I guess, over all, oil pulling seems to have been a success.  I admit that I'm a bit surprised by the results.  I thought this would be another one of those silly ideas I got into my head to try.  If you decide to give it a go, let me know your results.

3 comments:

Lisa R said...

Interesting... With the olive oil on your face.. do you use it straight or do you mix itg with anything? I wonder if it will help with teenage blackheads and acne.

Unknown said...

Lisa, I've mostly used a product from DHC which is a more water soluble than straight oil from the kitchen. I have used the oil from the kitchen before I just wash with a soap type cleanser afterward to get any residual oil. I think that it works GREAT. It makes total sense too. In science we are taught "like dissolves like", so why wouldn't olive oil wash the "greasys" away?

Lisa R said...

make total sense.. it has to be much better than the other products with all of the chemicals in it.