Thursday, May 7, 2009

Social Experiment

I had a thought of a really interesting book/social experiment. I think it would be interesting to see if a person could work their way across the US without money. You would have to find people willing to let a stranger work for some cash or willing to give you cash. You would be able to have a car but would need gas money as well as food money.

I wonder if a person could do it. I know that I would be skeptical of a stranger asking for some work. Would I allow someone like that to sweep my floor or mow my grass for a few dollars? I hate to say that it would depend on how that person looked on the outside. If they were clean-cut, I might consider it. If they were scraggly.....I'm not so sure.

If I were to take on this project, and I admit I would be hard pressed to take it on, I would start with a full tank of gas and a full cooler of food. I would stop in small towns before I totally ran out of gasoline. I would check in with the local police and explain what I was doing in the town. I'm not sure what kind of stores I think would make good places to try for work.

What do you think? Does it sound interesting? Would you be willing to help a stranger out?

No comments: